Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why I am Anonymous on this Blog

Think about it. If you were writing about your mistakes in starting your practice and getting clients, would you want people -- and possibly prospective clients -- to know it was you?
An attorney has to project trust, experience and confidence. I work very hard at projecting these things in my interpersonal communications. None of them would be easy to convey if prospects knew how little business I have right now, even if that is not in itself indicative of my skills.
The Wall Street Journal recently had an article about an attorney at some large law firm who was suffering from stress and burnout and started a website about it to help other lawyers. He is not anonymous. But I think he has less reason to be. He is a highly successful lawyer for a powerful firm serving powerful clients, apparently quite well in spite of the stress and burnout. In other words, he is writing about the downsides of success.
I, on the other hand, am not writing about success of any sort. Unless, of course, my efforts to turn around my practice work out.
I suppose there is a possibility I'll go public once day, but I'll have to be so wildly successful at that point that I will have no concern about words from this blog coming back to haunt me. But until that time, I'll probably have to be deliberately vague about certain things: my location, schooling, legal experience, my practice areas, etc. will probably only be described in general terms in order to preserve anonymity. I'll probably even have to be vague about my turnaround efforts, even though they are one of the main subjects of this blog.
I'll do what I can to make this blog useful while remaining anonymous.

0 comments:

Post a Comment