Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Don't Get Over Your Head in Overhead

If you're reading up on how to open your own law office, you will see advice to keep your overhead to a minimum. Take that advice seriously.
When I rented my office space, I spent about $600 more per month than I ideally wanted to. But the space was so nice, you see. It looked so professional. And it had a separate conference room. So in addition to the higher rent, I also spent around $2000 on a conference table and chairs.
All of this would have been fine if I had been able to generate more traffic into the office. As it is, I figure that conference room furniture cost about $100 per client or client prospect that has actually sat in the conference room, and right now I really wish my bank account had the extra $18,000 I've paid in rent these last 30 months.
And I don't think the "professionalism" of my office helped me sign a single client.
By all means, start with shared space or a sublease if at all possible. Home office, even better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment