Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Advice for young lawyers and law students: Get practical experience

The general consensus seems to be that most law schools do little, if anything to prepare their students for the actual practice of law. It is a constant refrain on many law blogs devoted to legal practice and marketing, and law firms seem to grumble about it, too.

Susan Cartier Liebel, of Build a Solo Practice, LLC, gets a glimmer of hope upon hearing a radio ad for a law school that touts its preparation of students for the actual practice of law:
I was truly impressed. Maybe, just maybe, not every law school aspires to be the next Yale. Maybe, just maybe, more positions will open at these law schools for adjuncts who actually practice law. Maybe, just maybe more law schools will opt out of competing for artificial ranking in U.S. News and World Report. And maybe, just maybe, as we preach to new lawyers to fashion practices centered around the client those same law schools will fashion educational programs around the needs of their clients, the students. And maybe, just maybe, the ABA will loosen up or revamp their accreditation process to mandate more skills training so the education makes more sense in the real world.
That would be nice, wouldn't it? I have to admit that I was awfully caught up in the old way of doing things. The reason, I think, is that I loved the process of learning the law. Loved it. I'm one of those guys that was always volunteering answers in class instead of praying that the professor wouldn't call on me. I relished the hours in the library, briefing cases, reading hornbooks, and drafting outlines. Geez, I think I even liked exams! 
I did very well in law school, and I guess I just assumed that my law school success would eventually lead to success in practice. The "ideal" career model at the time seemed to be to get a job with a big law firm (which I did), spend the first few years in the library and learning the ropes (which I did), gradually take on more responsibility for dealing with clients (which I did), and eventually start networking and bringing in clients (which I never got the hang of), after which you eventually made partner (which I never had a realistic shot at — see "bringing in clients"). 
In retrospect, neither my approach to school nor my career path were the best for me. Sure, I loved law school, but I failed to take advantage of clinics that could have taught me more of the nuts and bolts. 
And the big firm? I really didn't like most of my big firm time, and would have gained a heck of a lot more practical experience, and probably a lot more skill at networking and business development, at a small firm. 
It's never too early to start gaining practical experience. Do it in law school, if you can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment